DOCUMENT NO. : IKN-RS-SOP-02
The transfer of radioactive material between Institut Kanser Negara (IKN) premise shall be managed in proper method in order to avoid any incident and accident during the movement.
The purpose of this document is as a guideline to transfer radioactive material from different department within IKN such as from PET-CT Facility into IKN Main Building or vice versa.
The unsealed and sealed radioactive movement between IKN Premise.
- Radiation Protection Officer (RPO)
- Radiation Workers
Transfer of Radioactive Material Between PET-CT Facility Into IKN or Vice Versa
- Radioactive material shall be packed with a proper container (with lead shielding) and sealed to avoid any contamination during the transportation.
- Proper IKN vehicle shall be used to transport the radioactive material between PET-CT facility into IKN or vice versa.
- Designated Nuclear Medicine Personnel shall accompany the radioactive material during transportation procedure with proper personal radiation monitoring.
- RPO shall be consulted and shall evaluate the risk before transporting the radioactive material.
- The container shall be placed at maximum distance at the back of the vehicle.
- The unused radioactive material shall be disposed as advised by RPO.
- RPO shall be informed for any incident and accident during the transportation procedure.
Transfer of Clinical Sampel Containing Radioactive Material Inter Department at IKN
- Clinical sample containing radioactive material sent to any department in IKN shall be consulted by RPO or designated Personnel regarding the radiation risk by completing the IKN-RS-F-073 Clinical Sampel Contaminated with Radioactive form.
- Radioactive material should be packed with a proper container (with lead shielding) and sealing to avoid any contamination during the transportation if necessary.
- Designated Nuclear Medicine Personnel must wear personel dosimeter when handling radioactive material.
- RPO shall be consulted for any incident and accident during the movement procedure.
- The unused clinical sampel containing radioactive material shall be disposed by referring to the IKN-RS-SOP-05 Radioactive Waste Management procedure.
- Atomic Energy Licensing (Basic Safety Standard) Regulations 2010.
- Nuclear Medicine Resource Manual, IAEA 2006.
- Applying Radiation Safety Standards In Nuclear Medicine, Safety Reports Series No. 40 IAEA, 2005
This Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) was developed based on compilation of best available information, knowledge, field experience, and general practices to provide guidance to IKN staff in performing the activities defined herein, in a consistent and standardised manner.
IKN does not guarantee nor accept any legal liability whatsoever arising from or connected to the accuracy, reliability, currency or completeness of any material contained herein.
IKN shall take no responsibility for and will not be held liable for this document being temporarily unavailable due to technical issues beyond our power and control.